The student newspaper of Blue Valley West

BV West Spotlight Online

• Follow us on social media @bvwspotlight on Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram!

Clips from the Eclipse

Students and staff experience solar eclipse viewing

On Monday, Aug. 21, people all across the country stepped outside to witness a rare total solar eclipse. Even though school was in session during the eclipse, which lasted from 11:48 a.m. until 2:46 p.m. , students and staff did not miss out on the opportunity to take part in the one of a kind experience. Students were provided special eclipse glasses and made their way outdoors to watch the height of the eclipse that occurred just after 1:00 p.m.  The experience was different for everyone, as some viewed the eclipse at school, while others traveled to view it in a location where totality occurred. Regardless of where they watched, each student took away unique memories and reactions from the long-awaited day. 

Student thoughts before the eclipse:

“I think that it’s cool to get to see the eclipse with all my friends and I’m glad that we all got the opportunity to at BVW. I am worried that somebody will end up taking their glasses off or ruin their phone.” -Ellie Kwon

“I think it’s going to be really cool because it’ll be dark in the middle of the day.” -Emily Jensen

Student thoughts after the eclipse:

“My family thought since it was a once in a lifetime event that we should experience it together so we all went to Riverside, Missouri. It was super cool to be able to take off our glasses and see the eclipse in full totality, which we wouldn’t have been able to do from home.” -Gabriella Aguilar

“I feel like there was too much hype which made me feel like it was anticlimactic.” -Katherine Krishna 

“It wasn’t as dramatic as I thought it would be but it was fun to spend it with my friends. It’s an experience I’ll remember for the rest of my life.” -Aamina Mariam 

“[It was] extremely underwhelming. It was hyped up to be an amazing occurrence, but watching people trying to get permanent eye damage was more entertaining.” -Larry Chen

“Getting to see the solar eclipse during school with my friends was a fun experience. It’s definitely something I won’t forget.” -Trey Hodges

“It was like the perfect night in the middle of the day.” -Kyle Nissen

Photos by Jolie Barnhart, Lydia Berutti, Katherine Edmunds, Zoey Greenberg, Diane Kershaw