BV West Spotlight Online

• Follow us on social media @bvwspotlight on Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram!

Uniting for Diversity

Diversity Leadership Council heads assembly celebrating differences

Hannah Holladay, Web Editor

The goal is simple—to promote awareness of diversity. Diversity Leadership Council (DLC) meets frequently to discuss important topics about diversity and its implications, but once a year, their efforts in increasing appreciation are on display for all to see.

On Jan. 26, DLC led BV West’s annual diversity assembly. The event included guest speakers, interactive games and performers. While the assembly itself lasted under an hour, the club planned diligently in the months leading up to the event to ensure its success.

“We started talking about it back in October,” DLC sponsor and school counselor Kimberly Urenda said. “The students plan all of it. We have a board. The students contacted speakers, we talked through things, we tried to get timing [and] they contacted other students.”

Senior Sundus Javed, a four year DLC member and part of the club’s executive board, led the planning efforts for this year’s assembly.

“I was really interested in last year’s assembly, so this year I thought maybe I could bring in some of my own ideas and make it better and try and get everyone else to enjoy it more,” Javed said. “I feel like the more that [people] watch performers and stuff like that, the more they get interested and learn more about diversity in the world.”

Many unique performers showcased routines, including a group Bollywood dance routine; a staple performance in all BV West’s diversity assemblies. This year, the club selected senior Neeha Kothapalli to choreograph the 23 person dance. Although not a member of DLC, diversity is an important aspect in Kothapalli’s life.

“For me, classical Indian dance allows me to reconnect with my culture,” Kothapalli said. “There are so many cultural aspects that are interwoven into the dance. Then, in terms of dancing for the assembly, it was just really fun getting to spend time with people doing something we all love.”

Whether having a club discussion about important issues, performing in an assembly for the student body to see or embracing individual diversity in one’s own life, DLC’s message of spreading understanding and acceptance is one that has the power to spark positive change for all.

“Accepting diversity is such an important thing, especially in today’s society,” Kothapalli said. “The instant you start accepting that diversity you get to learn more about cultures and you get to make new friends and meet new people.”