BV West Spotlight Online

• Follow us on social media @bvwspotlight on Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram!

Looking at CAPS Through a New Lens

There are many pros and cons when it comes to CAPS according to students

Anabel Myers, Reporter

One opportunity that upperclassmen have is the ability to shorten their school schedules to attend CAPS, the Center for Advanced Professional Studies. This nationally recognized program allows students to engage in studies in a professional environment and solve real-world problems.

Students shorten their schedules so that they have three open class periods in order to sign up for CAPS.

Senior, Hannah Behrman, took Digital Design and Photography first semester where she had to self-teach herself with tutorials and do a variety of projects.

“You were given a client and you would have to do any graphic design and photography for them,” Behrman explained.

One of her favorite aspects about CAPS was the freedom and leniency she was given.

“A lot of the other strands are really structured like the Business strand,” Behrman said. “But, in the more artistic strands you have free will to learn about whatever you want.” Senior Addison Whitrock, took Exploring Health Professions at CAPS.

“My favorite thing was having more freedom than a normal school,” Whitrock said. Behrman was introduced into the professional world through her CAPS strand.

“It was brutal,” Behrman said. “I was exposed to the big leagues way to early.”

Behrman found it helpful in a way because it prepared her for the real world, but it was hard being introduced to it as a high school student.

Another part of the class Behrman did not enjoy was the way her teacher treated the students.

“My teacher only focused on the kids that knew what they were doing, leaving the newbies in the dust, which was me,” Behrman said.

There are pros and cons to the CAPS program, however, Behrman says she would recommend it to other people.

“Even if you don’t know what you want to do, it can help a lot,” Behrman said. “I learned that I didn’t want to do anything with graphic design.”

Whitrock also noted a positive outcome.

“It helps narrow down what fields you’re thinking about,” Whitrock said.