BV West Spotlight Online

• Follow us on social media @bvwspotlight on Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram!

Military VS Professional Athletes

Military members should get paid more than professional athletes.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Military VS Professional Athletes

Kevin Jamison, COO of the Veteran's Community Project, speaks to BV West students at the Veterans Day Assembly on Nov. 15. Jamison founded the project that helps provide homes for veterans that are homeless.

Bailey Ellis

Bailey Ellis

Bailey Ellis

Izzy Watkins, Conrtibutor

Soldiers risk their lives protecting our country and fighting for our citizens but make less money that a professional athlete defending a football. Many wonder why this is and if it is right.

The military goes through many hardships that are emotionally challenging and financially challenging. Being in the military is a difficult job and a very stressful lifestyle. A higher pay would help veterans tremendously. The fact that athletes make more for entertaining people while soldiers are struggling to stay on their feet. Military members protect or country for honor and pride of our nation, not for the money. That being said, they should not have to go through financial hardships.

“It is very hard to get by being a veteran and especially one who has to take care of their family.” Barry Coleman said in the KC Star.

“I think a man with a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man with a helmet defending a football.” freshman Shelby Bloom said.

There are people in the nation that think soldiers should not get paid more than athletes. A good point was that if the military wages increased then people would become greedy and only fight for the money. We want people who want to fight for our country for the pride and protection, not for the money. A giant increase of mercenaries wanting to join the military could be detrimental to the armed forces. On the other hand, the possibility of death and injury in the line of duty leads many people not want to be in the military.

“I think that electricity should be free, doctors should cure the common cold, and ice cream should be good for you.” veteran Bobbie Ragsdale said.

Even though we all think these things should be done does not mean they can be done. It takes a lot of work changing something that has been one way for a long time. Having the military paid more will require a lot of money that the US does not have.

In conclusion, many citizens think different things on what is right for our country. Military members go through a stressful life that deserves more money than someone who is getting to entertain people. Even though soldiers enjoy what they are doing and love fighting for their country, they work harder for something that is more important which deserves a higher pay.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Military VS Professional Athletes”

1. Jason on August 16th, 2018 9:29 am

I have often wondered the same thing. Why do people get paid more to entertain a group of people rather than saving the lives of others? Not only football but other sports as well. Take Nascar. You have an 18 year old that can drive a car well and win races. They pay him or her millions and continue as long as he or she keeps winning. You take another 18 year old that decided to protect his or her country by enlisting in the military. They spend a year fighting a war and come home alive. Yes they may come home and look to be untouched but in their minds they are hurting and hurting very bad. Their family learns that during the past year that their loved one had saved several people from being killed by an ambush or that they had to watch others die in their arms. Will they get paid for the amount of lives they saved or the amount of lives they watch pass in their arms? No they won’t. They won’t get paid a dime more but will spend the next few years going in and out of treatment trying to fix the “untouched” scars that no one else sees. I take that back. The family that is close to him will see those scars but only at his or her breaking point. We are soldiers and we do not want others to see us with our guard down. Trust me. I have served this country for over 16 years now and it took years before my wife and 4 children saw me at my breaking point. I held it in and kept pushing through taking on more than I should of. It’s also sad that all those vets that have served over 20 years still have to find jobs once they get out. 20 plus years serving this country and protecting the lives of others, countless birthdays, anniversaries, deaths, weddings, family reunions missed. You would think that would count for something. Unless you have or have had some ties to the military you don’t understand it and you will go on cheering for your favorite athlete and not miss a night of sleep not knowing the life of a military member. So, yes it discuss me how much athletes get paid and how little us in the military get paid. Hey every year we get between 1.0 and 2.5 pay raise. Are you kidding me?

2. hi on December 5th, 2018 1:35 pm

I think military should get more because they are protecting our country.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

The student newspaper of Blue Valley West