BV West Varsity Football

BV West is starting off the year with a new head coach for varsity football

Back to Article
Back to Article

BV West Varsity Football

Senior Drew Anderson leads the varsity football team onto the field for the first game under new head coach Josh Koerkenmeier. The Jags defeated the BV Southwest Timberwolves 20-17.

Drew Lazzo

Drew Lazzo

Drew Lazzo

Izzy Watkins, Contributor

Coach Josh Koerkenmeier, the new head coach for varsity football, is ready for the season. Last year Koerkenmeier was one of the assistant coaches; this year he is taking on the new role of head coach and is experiencing major differences in the jobs. Because Jags are familiar with Koerkenmeier, or Coach Kork as players call him, many have wondered how he felt about the differences between the two coaching positions.

“There are a lot more administrative things that go into being the head coach where as an assistant coach I only worried about coaching football,” Koerkenmeier said. “I am fortunate that we have a bunch of great assistant coaches that are willing and able to perform many of these things.It is more time consuming but the pride I feel about the players and coaches in this football program make it all worthwhile.”

Koerkenmeier expresses a lot of respect toward his coaching staff and his players and in return the players look up to him greatly. Freshman on varsity, Riley Cummings, expressed what he observed about the way Coach Koerkenmeier coaches and treats the players.

“Coach Kork always pushes me and the other players to be the best that they can,” Cummings said. “He gives good constructive criticism so that the team can learn from their mistakes and become better as a team overall.”

As a freshman, Cummings has not had the chance to compare the difference between the new coaching system however senior Austin Downey played in both systems.

“The biggest difference in the change of coaches is the intensity of our workouts, Coach Kork has us doing a lot more and is working us harder,” Downey said.

BV West has played 3 games so far. Coach Koerkenmeier’s first win as the varsity coach came against BV Southwest 20-17. The following two games against Blue Valley and BVNW were losses. Up next for the Jags is a contest against EKL rival St. Thomas Aquinas on Thursday, Sept. 22 at 6:30 p.m. at home.

Drew Lazzo