BV West Spotlight Online

• Follow us on social media @bvwspotlight on Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram!

Fall Color Guard Begins

Jillian Dunlay, Reporter

Though spring sports are still in gear, one fall activity is just beginning: color guard.

The fall color guard performs with the Spirit of Blue Valley West band at football games, as well as the Red and Silver Brigade at competitive marching band competitions. Though considered a fall activity, color guard begins in early May because of all the work that goes into preparing for the competitive marching band show. The guard practices with the band for almost three weeks over the summer, learning new drill and choreography every day. Especially since the band and guard placed first at state championships in 2017, they will be working hard to defend their state title.

Audition clinics start in early May, and generally consist of learning dance technique, flag technique, as well as a dance routine which will be judged during the audition process. There are also separate weapon auditions for the experienced members who spin weapon. However, there are not any dance or guard experience requirements, so any and all students are welcome to try it out.

The first audition clinic will be May 3 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the BV West commons. The date of the actual audition is May 17 from 5 p.m to 8 p.m. in the BV West commons.