Swinging for Success

Natalie Fiorella, Reporter

Before tryouts for fall sports Freshman Julia Misemer began, girls golf coach Aaron contributed signifcantly to the golf Anderson had his season team’s successful season.

Misemer’s achievements impressed many, including her coach.

“What she accomplished this year was pretty remarkable,” Anderson said. “She won every tournament she played, which is an extremely difficult task.”

goals set high. With the returning experienced varsity and an incoming nationally-ranked freshman, Anderson aimed to place in tournaments across the state.

His team did just that. They finished second in the East Kansas League, second at Regionals and fourth at State. Anderson credits the team’s valiant effort for their success.

“Each team member contributed to the team,” Anderson said. “The three seniors showed great teamwork by helping the new freshman girls and making them feel welcome. All of the girls have a great work ethic and the returning players show great leadership.”

The team’s skills were not the only area of improvement. Anderson’s perspective on how to perform changed as well.

“This season taught me that it takes a team to reach the highest levels,” Anderson said. “You can have the best player in the state, but you need others to rise to the occasion, and I believe we did that.”

She placed first in every tournament she participated in.

While this is her first year on the school team, Misemer has been competing in tournaments since she was young.

“My dad played a lot, so he started taking me to the course when I was seven,” Misemer said. “We practiced together, and when I turned six, I started competing in these little tournaments just for fun.”

Misemer continued competing in tournaments throughout her childhood, even competing in global tournaments. This past summer, Misemer placed second in the Teen World Championship. Her victory qualified her for the US Teen Team. Misemer and her teammates beat an international All-Star team in a tournament.

Now playing for the Jaguars, Misemer enjoys competing with her teammates.

“I love having friends on the team and being able to play with them,” Misemer said. “Practice is so fun and relaxing with them.”

Misemer’s achievements this year impressed many, including her coach.

Misemer and the rest of the girls golf team will continue to impress as they prepare for future seasons.