Girls Soccer Wins State Quarterfinals in Overtime

Andree Orcutt scores winning goal on direct kick

Back to Article
Back to Article

Stepping into the overtime direct kick in the State quarterfinal game, Andree Orcutt scores the winning goal.

Gabi Alexander and Maria Kershaw

Gabi Alexander and Maria Kershaw

Gabi Alexander and Maria Kershaw

Gabi Alexander and Maria Kershaw, Yearbook Photographers

The Raiders scored the first goal in the State quarterfinal match up at BV West on May 22. The Jaguar’s hopes of a State championship three-peat was in jeopardy. 

With three minutes left in the first half, sophomore Lindsay Kuhlman got the ball past SM South’s talented goalie to tie the game.

Despite BV West principal Dr. Brett Potts releasing the staff from their afternoon meetings to cheer on the Jags, the game was tied at the end of regulation.

The large crowd made up of students, parents and staff continued to cheer on the Jags. Their skill and speed was on display against the aggressiveness and tenacity of the Raiders. Both teams seemed determined to win but just two minutes into overtime, Andree Orcutt, drilled a direct kick just above the SM South goalie and into the net. 

As the stands emptied, fans discussed heading to Wichita for the State semi-finals and championship games. The Jags play Manhattan High School on Friday, May 24 at 7 p.m. at Wichita South High School. (https://www.google.com/maps/place/South+High+School/@37.631595,-97.3458409,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x47c0b9c67bcf1d6e!8m2!3d37.631595!4d-97.3458409