The History Behind the 3-Day Weekend

Students recap their day off and discover the importance of Labor Day

Lanie Render, Contributor

Over the weekend my student rejoiced due to the day off school, but few understand the real importance of the extended weekend. Labor Day, falling this year on September 5th. hold more historical significance then many know.

The day pays tribute to American workers and their achievements and contributions. It is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers, who have helped create a strong, prosperous country.

Junior Kylee Odgers comments, “I went to my grandma’s house for a barbeque,” Odgers said. When asked what the day symbolizes Odgers laughs, “A day off school.” Many students appreciate the day off, but fail to understand the importance of the day.

At the height of the Industrial Revolution, many citizens in the United States worked for 12 hours a day, every day of the week. These workers weren’t just limited to adults; children often neglect education due to the long work days imposed on them.

Eventually, labor unions appeared and began to take a stand against the unsafe work conditions. These unions began to organize strikes and rallies to protest poor conditions. This worker’s holiday caught on across the country and many state legislators passed recognized it.

Enjoying the day off is important, but recognizing the history is also necessary.