March For Our Lives

Lauren Prehn, Editor-In-Chief

On Feb. 14, a mass shooting occurred at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, which killed 17 people and wounded over a dozen. Like many mass shootings in the past decade, the shooter, Nikolas Cruz, used an AR-15 semi-automatic style weapon. A fairly easy gun to purchase, the AR-15 has no waiting period in Florida and the age restriction is only 18 years old.

Following the horrific tragedy, teenage survivors of the shooting have taken to social media and spoken with news sources to demand the government passes laws on gun control. While President Donald Trump has visited victims in the hospital on Friday and has said in a tweet he is “working with Congress on many fronts”, he has yet to mention if they will work to pass gun control laws.

Frustrated by the lack of action coming from politicians following the school shooting, students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School are saying ‘thoughts and prayers’ are not enough. Instead, these students have decided to take matters into their own hands to demand change. Students are organizing  ‘March For Our Lives’ rallies that will be held in Washington, D.C. and across the nation on March 24, 2018. The goal of the march is to call for stricter gun control legislation to prevent future school shootings from happening in the United States. Additional marches and school walkouts are being scheduled throughout the months of March and April with the shared goal of making the voices of students heard by politicians.

The message coming from the survivors of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School is loud and clear, and one which students across the nation share: a demand that their safety and lives become a priority.

Yes, guns and the Second Amendment play a large role in the lives of many American people, but one’s right to bear arms should not come before the right for children to go to school without having to worry about their safety. The goal of gun control is not to ban all firearms– the goal is to increase safety regulations by requiring more rigorous background checks and mental health checks as well as increasing restrictions on assault weapons.

To bring an end to gun violence and mass shootings in schools America, we must come together and demand change. Make your voice heard. Stand up for what you believe in. Be the change.

Get involved:

Students Walkout Against Gun Violence

Twitter: @studentswalkout

When: Wednesday, February 21 @12:00 p.m.

#Enough

Twitter: @womensmarch

When: Wednesday, March 14 @10:00 a.m. for 17 minutes to honor the 17 victims of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting

March For Our Lives

Twitter: @AMarch4OurLives

Facebook: March For Our Lives Kansas City

When: Saturday, March 24 @1:00-4:00 p.m.

National School Walkout

Twitter: @schoolwalkoutUS

When: Friday, April 20 @10:00 a.m. (19th anniversary of Columbine shooting)